Week 4-Organizational Patterns

For this weeks exercise I chose to examine the iPad, an intricate tablet designed by Apple. iPads have changed the way people in professional settings perform transactions, educate, communicate, and share information. iPads are an important product in today’s professional world, providing use for those in numerous business settings, classrooms, and restaurants. After reading chapter 7 in the Markel text I felt that I could visit Apple’s website and confidently identify organizational patterns in the text regarding iPad products.

I started  off by visiting the section of apple.com    that explains and compares the different iPad models. This section was using the comparing and contrasting pattern. Apple did an excellent job of organizing and arranging information in a way that is aesthetically pleasing and easy to follow. The website designers used images of each model to visually  compare to other models. Apple chose to focus on several criteria that are consistent with the needs of their audience including price, storage capacity, size, color, weight, display, battery life, and special features. So far the latest model is the iPad pro, but apple makes it easy for the consumer to identify the differences with the later models in order to choose a model that is perfect for their specific task. https://www.apple.com/ipad/compare/  

Apple then uses the partition pattern to explain all the new features in the latest version of the iPad. Apple designers use pictures of the features and allow consumers to virtually spin the iPad 360 degrees  by using their mouse. Apple then arranges the information and graphics into categories based on the new features including retina display, IOS 9, A9X chip, design, and accessories. Apple vaguely but strategically describes each category under a graphic but then gives the reader a link to read more about each category. This is an excellent strategy because most people don’t want to read an essay about which operating system they’re using. Many consumers are interested  in reading a quick summary of the product capabilities. The categories were also strategically placed in a logical sequence starting with the new features and ending with extra accessories available but purchased separately. https://www.apple.com/ipad-pro/  

The final  organizational pattern I noticed was problem-methods-solution in the section detected to  iPad support. This portion of the  website was well organized and easy to navigate. The categories are divided up into the problems including setup, usage, airplay, and repair. Each section outlines the methods one could use to solve their problem on their own. I clicked on one category that was dedicated with those struggling to set up their device. Apple designed a page to teach new users to set up a devices using steps and graphics to guide them along. However, if users are still having difficulties with the product Apple provides a contact number for a department that specializes in each category. Having a different method of contact for each problem area is an effective way to treat the problem swiftly and effectively resulting in customer satisfaction. All of their organizational patterns make for an extremely user-friendly website for a consumer of any age.    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202033  

Leave a Reply